Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ok, let's face it...

My blog will probably never have a cute background, pictures or a great title. Why in the world did I ever delete it in the first place? Not sure, but I did want to provide a few updates on the Haynes'.

1. My job just changed this past Monday. I'm now the Women's Services Community Outreach Coordinator. Yeah, say that one really fast five times. Basically, my roles are to coordinate our Spirit of Women program and our Volunteer program. Although I haven't dove deep into the volunteer program, I'm excited about the possibilities. I think the next few months will be challenging as I reposition myself in a new role and learn to juggle quite a bit.

2. The RACE is just 1.5 weeks away. YIKES and YAY all in the same breathe. I can't believe we are on week 13 of our 14 week training program. I thought next weekend would never come. It has been so much fun training with my friend Bianca. Austin and Chris have been so supportive. This is our priority every Saturday morning and it takes most of the morning (have I mentioned that we are slow?). Nevertheless, we will head to Austin next Friday for our Saturday morning race. Maybe, just maybe, I'll post pictures. Have I mentioned that I haven't been out of this town since Thanksgiving. It was just last week that I was able to drive 70 mph. I hadn't driven that fast since going home in November. Most of the driving I do in Corpus is 35 mph...BORING!! All that to say, "I'M DEFINITELY LOOKING FORWARD TO A TRIP TO AUSTIN!!!"

3. Weddings...well, it's definitely wedding season in America and I was able to help coordinate my first wedding last Saturday. It was a blast! I was just a shadower, but some of my duties included: parking the MOB's car, helping the bride put on shoes, curling the junior bridemaid's hair, tying the flower girls' shoes, holding the train, waiting with the bride and FOB right before the ceremony, straightening the train as the bride began her walk down the aisle, moving chairs, moving tables, finding shoes, etc. etc.

AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT...despite the fact I had run 8 miles that morning, then went shopping, then showered and did my hair (and we all know what a process that is) then stood on my feet for four hours in heels, then joined Austin and his friend for sushi and then collapsed at home. I was so exhausted on Sunday. I will get to help BIG TIME with a wedding in June and I'm pumped!

4. Curtains...We officially have curtains in 2 of our bedrooms! Thanks to Austin and my Dad for hanging them, Natalie for steaming them and my Mom for the motivation behind it all (not to mention her steaming). Mom had fun going through my closet and decorating and we also picked up several cute items at WalMart. My family was able to come visit us the first weekend of Natalie's spring break, and despite the unusual rainy cold weather in Corpus we had a blast.

Austin and I threw a bbq for the Ambassadors with the Chamber and ended up having to have it in our garage...thank goodness for a 3 car garage that we can fit about 15 - 20 people in for a bbq. It was loads of fun. We had two grills going, lots of food and great company. I'm glad my family was able to meet some of the people who make up our Corpus Christi life.

5. Grad school...maybe? Austin and I are attending an open house for the graduate school at A&M Corpus this Thursday. Austin is going with me to look at possibly attending this fall. I'm sure there will be many updates on that as it progresses. Anyone ever heard of the GMAT? Any ideas on how to pass it? :)

6. NEED TO GO HOME...that's right I'm officially homesick and need a trip to Marshall. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it though. (Side note: Mindi, I would love, LOVE to come back as an honorary volunteer to run a cake walk for the picnic. I don't get to help plan anything like that here. SO SAD!!

Ok, think that's all for now. Hope you each have a great week!

3 comments:

Mindi said...

funny, we just talked yesterday about how we needed a cake walk AND how we wanted you to come back for the party this year and if you did we would give you a job... looks like you just signed yourself up for cake walk duty!!

Tyler, Haley, & Griffin said...

Us talking= not very often

Thanks for the catch up and thanks for answering your phone when it's convenient for me to talk and you're welcome for not answering mine when it's convenient for you to talk. haha...
Anyways, someday we will get to enjoy another conversation with one another.
I miss you. the end. goodbye :)

ps. will I really get to see you in May??? Griffin will be so blessed to get to meet his aunt mel! yipppeee!! he just shouted that from within me... :) bye again

Kelsie said...

I MISS YOU MEL!! We need a Mel and Kel phone convo. Talk to you soon. Ill be looking at when I can come down there pretty soon just let me know when is good for you.