Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No Betty Crocker

I always laugh and tell people I can't cook, all the while secretly thinking I can, but I just choose not to. Surely, with practice I would and COULD achieve Betty Crocker status. I mean, my mom is a good cook, her mom is a good cook; it just runs in the family.

WRONG!

I cooked a simple shrimp stir fry tonight: shrimp, rice, butter, onions and Tony's. It was WAY too salty and WAY too buttery. Even I didn't want to eat it. Come to find out, I used minute rice which Mom (remember, she is a good cook) says doesn't absorb things as well as regular rice.

Thankfully, Austin lives 8 hours away and doesn't base our relationship on my cooking ability. What will my poor family do every night for dinner? Well, I guess I'll just stick to saying, "Pictures in cookbooks are there to show your family what dinner was supposed to look like!"

Now...off to do the dishes!

2 comments:

Haley Nevins Hicks said...

Mel....it comes with lots of practice my dear...you make something wrong or bad the first time, then you know what NOT to do the next time you make it. that's not rocket science... You're family will love what you make. Maybe we can cook together when we are there if we have time.

I am prob gonna see if Britt and Em want to meet us in Marshall Thurs. night the 26th i think it is... do you have plans that night?

It was good to see a new post. I check your blog every day. :)

Kelsie said...

haha I guess thats why you didnt tell me to come over for left overs haha