Saturday, June 7, 2008

"Me & My Gray Suit"

So, I decided yesterday afternoon that I would like to write a book. The title of this book is going to be, "Me & My Gray Suit," and it will be dedicated to all professionals who have gone through, are currently going through, or will go through the ups and downs (mostly downs) of finding a suitable job in a new city.

I've officially been in Corpus 5 weeks now, and am still unemployed. Which, according to the media, isn't such an uncommon thing in our society now. It seems we currently have the highest unemployment rate in a couple of decades. Oh, but my friends THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE. I'm thinking, maybe the 5+ percent of us Americans who are unemployed simply haven't found the RIGHT one yet. Or we're just too dang picky or lazy.

Ok, back to my life. I've sent in countless resumes, applied to countless positions online, and still no job. Don't get me wrong I've been offered PLENTY of jobs, but none that would be a step forward in my career. Here's what those around me are hearing (i.e. Austin):

- "No, I don't want to make that amount."
- "No, I don't want to work in a cubicle ALL DAY." "Why?" "Because I wouldn't be able to concentrate with people talking next to me AND I'd want to stick needles in my eyeballs from boredom!"
- "No, I don't want to work for someone in trouble with the IRS."
-"No, NO, NOOO!"

Am I selfish? Am I spoiled? Am I picky? Or have I simply just not found the right job?

The thing is I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO. I know what I love to do. I know what I'm good at. And, I simply haven't been offered a job that fits. I think I have to fit a job as much as a job fits me.

In fact, in a crazy attempt to find a job, I've actually been applying for jobs that I'm over qualified for. My shortest interview: 11 minutes; start-to-finish. My longest interview: 2 hours, 45 minutes. The longest interview was with a placement agency and involved lots of testing. (Mindi, I made a 93 on my Excel test. You're proud, right?)

So far today I've applied for 2 jobs. And, one of my biggest thrills each week...the RUSH of opening the job section in the Caller-Times on Sunday. I get my highlighter or pen and go on a hunt. Some weeks, NOTHING....other weeks, LOTS of opportunity.

The following is a list of phrases I'm tired of hearing:

-"Corpus is a unique town. No jobs pay much."
OH BUT YOU SHOULD SEE THE HOUSES. AND EVERYTHING IS MORE EXPENSIVE HERE THAN MARSHALL.
-"People in Corpus live beyond their means."
-"It's all about who you know." This I know is true.
-"It's going to take a while to find the right one for you."
Blah, Blah, Blah

Here's the deal....I KNOW there is a job for me. I KNOW I will find it. So, once again I am clinging to a certain scripture...a promise that God will provide as He always does. Because, even though I'm out like a scavenger looking for a job as a scavenger in a desert looks for food, the Lord already has it planned. It's all taken care of, the papers have been signed, the job is aligned and there's going to be a good conclusion to my book. Hopefully, a happily ever after.

"Wait for the Lord. Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14

3 comments:

Tyler, Haley, & Griffin said...

What a great writer you are my friend... You prob actually could write that book you know.

Listen, hang in there, I know you are. Do you know where I work??? Think about it. I know you've heard stories. It's not a jolly-great-perfect environment, but I did it for a year and it was had at times and I didn't like going to work EVERY day, but in the end I really loved it. I know we have two completely different jobs, but I couldn't be picky when I was looking remember??? Remember those phone calls? And I know it would be kinda rough but it was the door the Lord opened for me and stepped through it and I am so so thankful I did. I am not telling you to just settle for any old hoopla job that come available, cause apparently you have not done that yet, but i am saying that sometimes the job may not seem like all that you dreamed your job would be anywhere you go, and just be opened....and i think you are....

Anyways, that's my spill, take or not. Is there anything else that you are qualified to do other than what you are hunting for? Just wondering...

I loved your post. And I love you! You're being prayed for! (both of you)

Hey, how church going? Where have y'all been going?
Call you soon,
Hay

Kelsie said...

I AM SOOO EXCITED!!

Jenni Darst said...

I found your blog through Sarah's so now I can stalk you and keep up with your newlywed life!! I am sorry to hear about the job hunt...but stay strong! God will bring the right opportunity your way!! I miss you girl!!
Jenni