Monday, August 4, 2008

A Familiar Feeling

It happens to me a lot on the drive home, when I open the refrigerator or when I'm wondering aimlessly down the aisles at HEB...

I wonder what will I make for dinner tonight. Seriously...has anyone else had the same feelings? Well, I was talking to my life-long buddy ole pal Haley last night and we discussed this along with recipes for each other. She encouraged me to jump ship on the typical beef tacos and maybe explore salmon or shrimp tacos. She also gave me her recipe for when she cooks salmon and I promised her the following recipe:

Chicken and Rice Casserole:

Items Needed:

3 - 4 chicken breasts
Tony's or Mrs. Dash for seasoning
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 Can Cream of Mushroom soup
1.5 cups rice
3 cups water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put all of that in a glass pan and put it in the oven for a while (until the chicken is done). Whalaaa...a great and tasty meal that is super easy to cook. I serve this with green beans and my hubby is happy!

**Haley - for you and Tyler you can just do 2 chicken breasts and 1 cup rice and 2 cups water.

Ok, any recipes for me? I guess this is the selfish part. I need help on what to cook. We are on a new EAT AT HOME program for people on a budget and I am completely lost as to what to put on our menu for next week. This week so far we have had: Bacon Wrapped Chicken with a Cheddar Cheese sauce, squash and potatos; Chicken tacos with Spanish Rice; tonight is the chicken and rice and for the rest of the week: Spaghetti with Salad, Baked Tilapia and Grilled Chicken. That leaves us with one night out for a treat night.

Ok, for next week I'm thinking: Steak Kabobs and King Ranch Chicken Casserole, but that's all I've got.

Please help!!!!

Happy Cooking,

Mel

9 comments:

Megan Card said...

Hey girl! When I have some time later today I will send you some recipes that are easy to cook and are delicious. But don't worry, I think every wife/mother gets into the same old slump as far as "what's for dinner tonight." It's always good to try new things and the guys love it and the effort that you put into trying something new. Take care! Hope all is well.

Carol D said...

www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

Hi there,

Check out the website listed above for lots of crock pot recipes. The crock pot is a working girls best friend. Throw it in either the night before & keep in the fridge or, for those early birds, throw it in before leaving for work. Come home to the aroma of a home cooked meal just waiting for you.

If you love homemade bread then a bread machine can work wonders for you while you are at work. Then you add the aroma of homemade bread to the evening meal.

Love you Lots,

Auntie C

Carol D said...

www.shop.lowpricesubs.com

Check out the website above for magazines. They have the best prices and free subscriptions that vary from time to time. You have to keep a regular check on what they are offering free because it changes.

www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

Check out this website for crock pot recipes.

www.comicalcouponcents.blogspot.com

Another money saving idea website. I love the gift basket she did. That's what I do for gifts for some of those on my list. I know the items will be used and appreciated.

www.musings-of-a-mountain-mama.blogspot.com

I like to read this woman's blog. She and her husband bought their home for $5,000. It needed a bit of fixing up but was livable. They live in West Virginia and have a home business selling on eBay. Their home business supports their family and is their only income.

www.sensetosave.com

Just another money saving idea site.

www.tammysrecipes.com

Another great recipe site to check out.

www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking

Yet another great recipe site.

www.thesimpledollar.com

A money saving site with great advice for saving money as well as killer recipes.

www.thesparrowsnest.typepad.com/the_sparrows_nest/2008/03/guest-post-maki.html

A little bit more about CVS...ing

www.walmart.triaddigital.com/In-Stores-Now-free-samples.aspx

Don't forget about those Wal*Mart free samples sent right to your door. Great travel sizes in shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste etc... all for free!!

www.budgethelpers.blogspot.com

Check out this site - added information and ideas for saving money.

www.frugalgraduate.com/2008/05/free-reading-magazine-subscriptions.html

Other free magazine sites listed here - Remember many of those magazines have coupons in them!!

www.hillbillyhousewife.com

Lots of great recipes here and menu + recipes for Angel Food Box contents each month.

www.frugalabundance.com

This lady (Miss Maggie) use to own the Hillybilly Housewife but passed it on and started a new site. I love her site and think you may enjoy it too.

www.farmhomelife.blogspot.com

This lady also has some good tips.

www.e-mealz.com

For anyone who wants to spend $1.25 per week (the cost of a Sunday paper here in Mobile) for this service take a look at what you can get. It may be worth it to you.

www.cheap-easy-dinners.com

Several good references to sites for recipe/menu ideas.

www.saving4later.blogspot.com

This young lady is in Canada and (from what I read) the cost of living is higher there.




Better quit for now................ will send more reference sites later.

Lots of Love,

Auntie C

(sent this to your Mom in an email and copied/pasted for you here because I wasn't sure if you would get an email from me and I wanted you to have this.)

Anonymous said...

Oh girl...I can hook you up with recipes. I LOVE cooking!! :) Tell me what kind of things you guys enjoy eating. I can recipe you up....Oh here's a good one that's easy...

Blackened Tilapia in a crawfish butter sauce...what ya think?

Anonymous said...

so we're on a budget too and pasta is super easy/inexpensive to make. I go to http://barillaus.com/home/Pages/Recipes.aspx and it gives you a ton of options to choose from. This one below is yummy, had it the first time recently. Oh and you don't need fresh herbs, i use the jarred kind and use less since it's dehydrated. :)

Ingredients

1 box BARILLA Piccolini Mini Penne
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup (3 whole) green onions, sliced
1-½ cup (1 bulb) fennel, julienne, reserve top
1 pint cherry tomatoes
to taste salt
to taste freshly ground black pepper
½ bag (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach


BRING a large pot of water to a boil.
SAUTE green onions with oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
ADD fennel sliced very thin and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat and cook until the tomatoes are slightly blistered and the fennel is thoroughly cooked.
STIR in spinach until cook until wilted.
Meanwhile COOK Piccolini Mini Penne according to package directions. Drain reserving a little cooking water.
COMBINE Piccolini Mini Penne with sauce mixture in the skillet. Add reserved cooking liquid and cook until the liquid is completely reduced.
STIR in cheese and fennel tops before serving

Haley Nevins Hicks said...

i will post a recipe on my blog for you....do you guys like turkey sausage?

Tyler, Haley, & Griffin said...

I'd love to have that tilapia recipe! please email it to me when you get the chance, hay

Tyler, Haley, & Griffin said...

i would love to have that tilapia recipe when u get a chance to email it to me

Keeping Up With the Langleys said...

mel--
i want that bacon wrapped chicken recipe, it sounds good! and the tilapia! i've got a great pork chop recipe if you want it.