Wrong....
I never realized the problem with plastic grocery bags until I moved to Corpus Christi where the population doesn't seem to know how to throw them in the trash. Now, don't get me wrong, I realize it would be WAY better to recycle...but, I haven't quite "gone green" in my day-to-day life. I'm the one that reads the "Green" sign in hotel bathrooms and deliberately throw my towel on the floor for a fresh one. So, please understand this isn't my plea to make everyone feel bad for not carrying tote bags into your local Wal-Mart, HEB, Kroger's or whatever store you choose. It is, however, a testiment to my disgust at the Corpus Christi"ans" who DO NOT know how to properly discard them.
Since I've moved to Corpus, I've learned what a "dirty" town is. Austin and I lived on North Beach (a semi-popular tourist destination) for our first three months here and were uterly apalled at the amount of trash that lined the beach's boardwalk the weekend of Memorial Day. That's when I started noticing the amount of trash anywhere and EVERYWHERE here in Corpus. A few weeks ago we had a big rain (not related to Dolly) and the news stations ran huge stories on the trash that made its way from the city drainage ditches to the bay. Disgusting! Since then, this has been a topic of conversation among Austin, Tony and myself. One thing Corpus is trying to do is Beautify the City and we have our own solutions (that will not be shared here) as to how to do that.
Well, that is just the background...this is my story:
I'm not a litterer...I don't even throw my gum out the window...I just don't think that's good. I feel bad if I even spit it out on the ground...and I MOST CERTAINLY would not distribute a plastic grocery sack onto the ground....
Well, today I had an extra sack for my produce at HEB that I didn't use and as soon as I walked outside it flew right out of my cart. (Have I ever mentioned it's windy here?) Well, here I go chasing it through the parking lot pushing my buggie all the way. This older gentleman is walking in, sees my concern and states, "It's just a plastic bag." My response..."I know!" What I thought in my head two seconds later..."Yeah, but have you seen how ugly they make our city?" Well, I can't find it and am now circling (with my cart) around a truck. People must think I'm drunk. With a defeated attitude (did I mention is was SO HOT at 3 this afternoon?) I continue to my car and load my groceries. I'm so upset at myself and know it will really disturb me if I don't do something about it.
So, I get in my car and the plan hits me....I will find it and GET IT before I leave the parking lot. And, so off I go. I found it immediately, pulled over near one of the handicap (at the front) spots to get it. Before I get out of my car, I notice it's not mine and continue on. Oh, there it is....making its way across the parking lot and ALMOST OUT OF IT. These things travel fast. Well, I almost take out a Mercedes in my attempt to get it and YES, I was SUCCESSFUL and yes, I still have that bag. I'm proud of that bag. Proud that I am not conforming to UGLY!
Hmmm, yeah that's all I got...still not green...although I am considering the amount of plastic that I go through each day in water bottles. My mom bought us water bottle and I think I will start using that each day.
Once again....I'm not trying to conform anyone to the "Green Movement!"
Saturday, August 2, 2008
"It's Just a Plastic Bag"
Posted by MelJo at 8:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you're stinking ridiculously funny. You have the best and longest written post stories. I love it. Oh, and sorry I didn't answer my phone earlier , we were in church. Sat. night church, tyler lead worship. so we had to go...but I will try calling you tomorrow sometime. later gater
You are hilarious!! I can't believe that you ran all over the parking lot just trying to find your plastic bag. But you were helping out your community so that's a plus!
Post a Comment